Freaks on a Plane

I had to go the Washington this afternoon. I am amazed that American flies as many aging regional jets as it does. These little planes are really close quarters. The whole time I had my notebook open, I was worried that the guy in front of me would lean back and crush my display. Why is it that airplane seat backs are so perfectly designed to catch a display in the cavity where the tray table stows? It seems almost intentional.

Across the aisle was a plain enough, slightly geeky looking guy with an iPod and a notebook stuffed in the magazine pocket. I am pretty sure that is a violation of some FAA rule. Shortly into the flight, I noticed that he had a large stack of 3 x 5 cards in front of him. These cards were printed with a reproduction of the cover of the business book of the moment, Freakonomics. I have not read this book. I tend to avoid anything written by anyone who describes themselves as a rogue. I tend to think "rogue" is an adjective to be applied by others.

Soon, my aislemate pulled a blue Sharpie from an envelope and started signing the cards; one after another after another. The guy was signing "Steven Levitt," although the signature tails off at the end and is pretty illegible. His co-author, Stephen Dubner, had already signed each card.

I wanted to strike up a conversation but figured he was busy. Also, I am pretty sure he did not need to talk to a guy's whose best comment would be, "Congratulations on the book, which I have not read." In fact, my closest contact with the book was hearing a talk by a well regarded NY political consultant (whose name escapes me) who called it the "stupidest book of the year." But, I have no basis on which to judge it. So, I left him alone and did my own work.

Which brings me to Samuel L. Jackson. Why, you ask. Because all day I have been saying something very close to "We got mother-lovin' freaks on this plane." If you have to ask, visit here and then here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The very name of this new movie makes me wanna see it.

nao

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

EAPA Part 2 - What's The Problem?

Target on Finality