Ruling of the Week 2015.17: The Drinking Dead

You may recall, I previously posted about my concerns for the proper means of entering the shambling undead. It appears U.S. Customs and Border Protection has already contemplated the tariff treatment of drinkable zombies mixes.

In NY N008597 (Apr. 13, 2007), the product was, among other things, a coffin-shaped cardboard box containing a bottle of "Citrus Zombie." The drink was about 70% water and 30% sugar with small amounts of flavoring a citric acid. The bottle included instructions to mix with equal parts of tequila, which is odd since a zombie cocktail is traditionally made with rum.

According to CBP, this product is a food preparation not elsewhere specified or included, classifiable in 2106.90.9972. Helpfully, CBP pointed out that the item was not properly marked with its country of origin and that the food preparation is subject to FDA regulation.

All of which is a segue into this cartoon from yesterday's paper. For copyright reasons, I'm just giving the link. It is a cartoon by Harry Bliss showing a man at the stove while a woman and cat relax behind him. The man says "Honey, quick -- the demi-glace is about to simmer -- pass me a shot of Don Julio 1942 tequila."

Here's the thing, I own and very much enjoy my bottle of Don Julio 1942. I also do some of the cooking in the house and I know what demi-glace means. I don't think I have ever made a demi-glace, but I watch a lot of Chopped, so I know these things.

I don't want to be overly defensive, but I am trying to see if I missed a joke in which I am the punchline. It's possible there is no joke here. Maybe the cartoonist was simply depicting a scene typical of his house. On the other hand, maybe I am a tool. Either is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

EAPA Part 2 - What's The Problem?

Target on Finality