Don't Try This At Home

I am a gadget guy. I use a tablet PC, have an MP3 player, and a WiFi network. I am only lacking for an HD TV and a hybrid car. I also carry (or carried) a Treo 650 smartphone, which I love(d)and for which I am in mourning.

To make a longish story short, do not mix the following: a grande coffee with sugar, a Treo smartphone, and a small sink on a boat. Boats move. Coffee tips. Gravity does its thing. Your phone, marinated in sugar-infused coffee up to two hours will become a surprisingly soggy mess. When dry, it becomes a sticky mess.

According to PalmOne, Treos subjected to liquid damage are not repairable. So, following instructions I found on line, I squirted plastic-safe contact cleaner into the keyboard. No dice. The unit turns on but the keyboard has about as much play in it as a brick. The keys just don't move.

Figuring I cannot make matters any worse, I have ordered a set of small Torx wrenches to open the thing up, thereby voiding my warranty, which is no good anyway since this is not a factory defect, normal wear and tear, or anything but me forgetting the fundamental laws of physics. I'm hoping that when I open it, there will be a big gunky spot I can clean with a toothbrush and get back to business. If not, I'm going to have to go back to Sprint and explain why I need to buy another $500 phone. I'm sure they won't mind.

Comments

Larry said…
In case anyone is following this saga, I have failed in my mission. Turns out there is more to opening the Treo than a number four Torx wrench. The sides appear to be force fit together in a way that defies simple prying open. I worked at it, but was afraid I would crack the case. I'm sure it was designed to prevent exactlt this kind of futzing. I'm also sure there is some secret tool for popping them open. If anyone knows, please send me a note.
Anonymous said…
There is a guide to removing the camera from a Treo 650 which covers opening it in the Treocentral forums.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=84979&highlight=torx

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

EAPA Part 2 - What's The Problem?

Target on Finality