New from the Wild West

I tweeted this story (see my problem?) but it was recently tipped to me from another lawyer, so I'll give it some coverage here.

It seems that Jesus Argandona has been sentenced to a year in prison and a $200,000 fine. His offense: arranging the illegal export of $600,000 in blank CDs into Mexico. Two others received lesser sentences for similar offenses involving the use of a bonded warehouse to illegally export CDs from China to Mexico.

This raises a question that I'm not willing to investigate. Maybe one of you has the info handy. What's the duty on blank CDs going into Mexico? It must be pretty big to justify this level of criminal enterprise. Is the problem that there is an antidumping duty order in Mexico? This whole thing seems kind of crazy to me. Maybe In Mexico, Philips brand CDs are particularly desirable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

EAPA Part 2 - What's The Problem?

Target on Finality