Happy Belated Smoot-Hawley Day

I tried to do a mobile post of this yesterday, June 17th, the first annual Smoot-Hawley Day celebration.

Enjoy the holiday. Now is a time to gather with your colleagues and be nostalgic about 25% rates of duty. If anyone in your office raises the question of whether the Smoot Hawley Tariff Act might have contributed to plunging the world into a global depression, tell them that the Tariff Fairy will not put a new HTSUS under the tariff bush this year.

If anyone has ideas for SHD traditions, please put them into the comments. Perhaps a non-tariff barrier obstacle course, or the annual running of the phytosanitary measures?

Comments

Monax said…
Hi! I stumbled upon your blog in researching Smoot-Hawley. Since I haven't followed any of your other posts I don't know where you stand and this blog does little to tell me. Sarcasm is hard to discern sometimes, especially absent context.

So let me just say if you are saying the it is a globalist fairy tale that SH contributed to the '29 crash or great depression, then I will tell you my research agrees with you.

If, on the other hand, you are ridiculing this viewpoint, then I disagree respectfully.

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

EAPA Part 2 - What's The Problem?

Target on Finality