Filler

I have a bunch of substance to post. I have a couple comments on the UPS and Pomeroy decisions from the CIT and need to talk about the Optrex decision in some detail.

But, I can't do it now.

In the meantime, I give you these two items.

First: Scooting Across the Border. Read that article. I'll wait because I have a question.

Done?

OK. Here's my question: Who decided that motorcycles and scooters get to cut ahead in traffic just because they can fit between two lanes of cars? I ask this because this very morning I rode my bike to work. While waiting to make a left turn at a light (off Western to Pratt), I waited behind a car with another car behind me. In other words, I acted like I was a car. While sitting there waiting for the arrow, a guy on a blue Schwinn with a basket on the handlebar and a chain guard sped past us and positioned himself at the front of the otherwise orderly line. Am I supposed to do that? I admit to occasionally hopping on the sidewalk to avoid a snarl, but that seems different.

In the case of scooters at the border, I am surprised these guys don't occasionally run into a car driver who is not happy about being pushed back in line by scooters.

Second: Check out this vintage article from the New York Times. It is an 1898 article summarizing a bunch of then-recent customs decisions. A sidebar covers the issue of the classification of a mummy for museum display. It's hard to imagine customs decisions getting that much attention today.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So you're talking about two different sets of rules for vehicle traffic. In Mexico (or at least the parts I've visited, mostly in the south), it's anything goes. Motorcycles and bikes squeeze in wherever they can and frequently motorcyclists run red lights. So there was no decision about motorcycles and scooters getting to go in front; it's just that the cops don't enforce the laws (if laws against the practice are even on the books).

As for the US, you are right, act like a car as much as possible. In the case of making a left turn, I would do what you did. It makes it easier for drivers to avoid hitting cyclists if they can anticipate what you're going to do. Cyclists not following the rules of the road make life difficult for everybody.
Anonymous said…
I mostly agree with Matt, with the caveat that in any fight between my Trek 5000 and a 1-2 ton vehicle with 4 or more wheels, I can safely assume that I will lose. Thus, I seek to minimize the risk of making such contact, and am not above moving ahead of stationary cars and even through red lights (after stopping to look), if it puts distance between me and the 4 wheelers. That's a rare situation, and not one I recommend as a general rule, but I am a lifelong scofflaw in that respect. It all depends on how well I know the route. The border line sounds a little different -- someone in line in a car is eventually going to come to blows with the scooter renters.

Popular posts from this blog

CAFC Decision in Double Invoicing Case

Target on Finality

CAFC: EAPA Process Really Does Violate Due Process